Saturday 1 September 2012

A walk around Hebden Bridge

This was my second excursion using my Senior Railcard.


Once again I travelled using a South Pennine Day Ranger ticket and went to Hebden Bridge via Leeds


My route would be a circuit around Hebden Bridge and would involve significant parts of the Pennine Way. Details of the route can be found by clicking here Hebden Bridge Round Walk


I was soon on the Rochdale Canal - familiar territory for me; I walked along here only a couple of weeks ago


I soon joined the Pennine Way and began my ascent to the tops overlooking Hebden Bridge


Some splendid views



Stoodley Pike in the distance



Near Colden I came across this small Tortoiseshell butterfly feasting on a thistle




Then down to the Pack Horse Bridge that crosses Colden Water


Heptonstall Moor


For details of this National Trust area click Hardcastle Crags




Lord Holme Mill — to give it its official title — was erected in the early 1800s by Abraham Gibson, a Heptonstall farmer and cotton spinner, of Greenwood Lee.


Gibson Mill was one of the first generation mills of the Industrial Revolution. The Mill was driven by a water wheel inside and produced cotton cloth up until 1890. In 1833, 21 workers were employed in the building, each working an average 72 hours per week.



After it shut down as a working mill, the building became a mini holiday centre or “entertainment emporium” with a cafe, dance hall and skating rink catering mainly for day trippers who visited what became known as “Little Switzerland” until what seemed like its final closure in 1945.




The family line was to survive for only four generations, however. Abraham the second was succeeded by his younger son, William, who in turn produced yet another Abraham, nicknamed "Young Ab," whose death, in 1956, brought the Gibson dynasty to an end. The National Trust restored and renovated the mill and workers' cottages to provide a visitor and education centre. It re-opened in September 2005.




I followed the course of the river back to Hebden Bridge





Hebden Bridge and the train home. Another great South Pennine Day Ranger day out

1 comment:

  1. LOVELY PICS BUT I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO DO THE WALK MYSELF. PITY NO INSTRUCTIONS/ROUTE/DISTANCE GIVEN.

    ReplyDelete